Clarendon Thoroughbred Racing
Run by James and Sally Bethell, Clarendon started out in 1997 in Manor House Stables, Middleham supported by champion jockey Willie Carson who not only encouraged them in their venture, but rode many winners for them.
Since the start of Clarendon Thoroughbred Racing in 1997 there has been many great highlights. From our first winners MEDELAI, FEARBY CROSS, and HARTLEY (bought for only 18,000GNS and sold on to Hong Kong for a considerable sum).
We have had many significant horses within our syndicates, like BRADBURY, who ran over jumps and on the flat, finishing fourth in the Grade 1 Matalan Hurdle at the Aintree Grand National meeting. Another, PENHILL, ran in some of the most competitive 3-year-old handicaps in 2014, then went on to sell at Newmarket for 230,000GNS, having cost only 24,000GNS as a yearling. BRAIDLEY, was a smart performer, again bought for a low 11,000GNS to then sell for 110,000GNS to Australia. More recently, success has come from the likes of HAWORTH, FRUIT SALAD, and RICH AGAIN.
- The opportunity to invest in a 10% share of a good mid tier flat racing horse which will be competing at local tracks over the following 12 months whilst being trained by James Bethell
- Horses are pre selected by James Bethell utilising his eye for bloodstock and 44 years of training experience, an individual choice is then made by the shareholders at the open day in October
- One off all inclusive payment covering all aspects of both purchasing and training expenses at the start of the year
- Clarendon Racing has a high success ratio of 14% – i.e. approx. 1 winner in every 6 races entered…
- All the perks of fully fledged ownership but at a fraction of the expense
- Horses based in Middleham and compete locally
- Owners benefit from complimentary “Owners” badges, parking, hospitality and use of owners facilities at racecourses which frequently includes meals on the course
- Visits to the stables and gallops by arrangement to see your horse and benefit from one on one time with James Bethell with coffee and refreshments
- Rebates following the profitable sale of horses and the winning of prize funds which reduce the overall cost
- Option of a lease share for a lower cost of entry
- Option to join a visit to Newmarket staying at the Jockey Club Rooms